kerrikins

Kerri

Fangirl. Book lover. All around nerd, really. :D

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
Rick Yancey
The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Divergent  - Veronica Roth I really enjoyed this book. It's not without its faults - the world isn't as well built as it should be, with few explanation as to why things are the way they are, or how the factions were chosen. For me I fairly quickly adjusted to the idea that this was all with the hope of making peace, but what pushed humanity to this point? Where is the background for what we see in this novel? In spite of that, though, the action and pacing were enough that I wanted to keep reading. I've seen other readers reference the main character, Tris, as selfish and a variety of other things... Which is true. But for me that's what makes her compelling. I loved that she was just as much about action and thrills as she was about exploring her new feelings - old relationships and new. I also feel a bit like female characters can't win - if they're pretty and aware of it, they're arrogant. If they're pretty and unaware, then readers roll their eyes and say it's unbelievable and too much. If they're plain, then 'omg why would the hero choose her?!' I'm not sure what would make people happy, to be honest. I liked Tris. She had her faults and flaws and that's what I want in a good character. I could sympathise with her wanting to be selfless and then wanting to be selfish and being torn between the two.The one thing that I would have liked to see was more of an emotional connection to what was going on with the Dauntless soldiers at the end. I know that most of the time Tris was in a situation where she had to kill or be killed, but I still would have liked some sort of an opportunity to see her have to deal with the idea that these are her friends, the people she trained with. I think I'll have more to say later, but for now I'm just going to sum it up by saying that I really enjoyed it.