kerrikins

Kerri

Fangirl. Book lover. All around nerd, really. :D

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
Rick Yancey
The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton What to say about this book. I ended up skimming a lot of it because I had a bad feeling that turned out to be pretty justified. The book starts off good, and has potential... But it needed to be fleshed out more, certain aspects of the plot needed to be slowed down, the mythology had my eyebrows lifting and there are problematic aspects of the book as well, considering it's written by a white author and set in New Orleans (or New 2, as it's now called.) 1. As I got a bit further into the book, I had to stop and consider it, because the main character is white, and other than one of the characters being described as having light brown skin, I had the impression that most of the others are, too. I can think of at least one character who was definitely black, and he was the one who was practicing voodoo. Considering the setting and then the pairing of a black person + voodoo, this really soured my impression of the book. 2. Sebastian. Okay. Vampire? Check. Dark hair? Check. Brooding? Check. Magical powers, sex appeal and the ability to have the heroine fall in love in approximately twenty-four hours? Check. Sigh. Is it too much to ask to want more from a book? Attraction isn't love, but books like this always seem to present it that way, and they always dwell too much on how the heroine feels every time she looks at the subject of her feelings. It's not that those sorts of things aren't accurate, it's that I'm tired of books focusing on it so much. 3. The mythology. Idk. On the one hand the idea is really interesting, on the other hand it didn't feel quite believable, to me. Normally I'm all for interesting interpretations of popular mythology but I wasn't sure that it was fleshed out well enough for me. There's potential here - I like that this is ultimately about women and the power they carry, in ways. Ari, Athena, Josephine - they're the ones at the heart of the conflict, and I like that. If Ari gets to grow into her powers and not be so ~in love~ with Sebastian, all the better. All in all, I feel like the framework was there, in this book, but it could have used a lot of smoothing, some editing for problematic aspects, and less focus on teen romance. Hopefully the second one is better.