kerrikins

Kerri

Fangirl. Book lover. All around nerd, really. :D

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
Rick Yancey
The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Hourglass - Myra McEntire 2.5 stars. What to say about this book. I finished it rather quickly - I had a slow day at work, so I had the chance to get through it, which is good, because Timepiece is next. In many ways, the book was enjoyable. I liked the concepts - basically, everything that's in the summary. Yes, in many ways they are cliches, but I don't actually judge books for having cliches - a lot of literature relies on cliches. They just have to be written well. So, things I liked/disliked - going behind a spoiler tag. Likes: - Emmerson's spunk, for lack of a better word. She's not meek and retreating, and she certainly lets the others know that. - Kaleb. I'll get to the one thing I didn't like about him in a moment, but overall he was an interesting character. I'm looking forward to learning more about him. - the idea of time travel being possible by combining different powers. Not just one person having that ability, but multiple ones needing to work together. Dislikes: - I wanted more depth, particularly in the secondary characters - the love triangle. Oh, I am very aware that love triangles are a tried and true part of Y/A, but they are so ubiquitous that I want more from them, now. Less 'as soon as I see her I fall in love' and more build-up, please. - literal ~sparks~ flying between Emmerson and Michael. Oh, please... And going on and on about how hot he is. Sigh. We've seen this before. I want depth, I want true build-up, I want slow falling in love. Not instant-lust-so-it-must-be-meant-to-be - I am very well aware that depression and mental illness can cripple a person. But I would have liked a bit more depth than just 'oh you were a drooling mess because you lived through a crash'. In the end, my issues with this book are the same ones that I have with a lot of books, now... I wanted more from it. Hopefully Timepiece provides.